Favorite Games Chart

Death Adder
Administrator
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Favorite Games Chart

Death Adder
Administrator
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Favorite Games Chart

Death Adder
Administrator
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Favorite Games Chart

Death Adder
Administrator
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Favorite Games Chart

AlexSwingle
I'll get the meme photo up eventually, but here is my list.

- Action: El Matador (PC) Max Payne clone without emo story.
- Adventure: Freddi Fish 2 (PC) Not much of an Adventure dude. Was the only one I've played through.
- Action+Adventure: The Darkness 2 (PC/PS3/Xbox 360) The gunplay is average, but the story is one of the best I've experienced.
It tries to constantly mess with you without doing stupid stuff like strobe-light the screen. Rewarded heavily if you talk to everybody after every mission.
- Visual Novel: Kane & Lynch (PS3/Xbox 360/PC) Technically a third person shooter, but I enjoy it for the story more than the gameplay.)
- 2D Platformer: Collapsed (PC) Run n' Gun game that has 10 difficulties. Lots of customization and generally $4 on sale.
Bit grindy when trying to get specific parts.
- 3D Platformer: Banjo Kazooie (n64) Not my favorite genre, Banjo at least isn't obscene with the collectables.
- WRPG: Bound By Flame (PC/PS3/360) Only counts if WRPG includes Europe. A fair version of Dark Souls.
Alpha Protocol if it has to be U.S. based (PC/360/PS3) The most detailed RPG I've ever played. Conversations change based on order of conversation, so much that people can get pissed if you don't see them right away. Rushed ending and bad gameplay are the big weaknesses.
- JRPG: Legend Of Legaia (PS1) What needs to be said? It was made at the same time FF7 was developed, but put on shelf since FF7 was going to squander all their potential sales. Better in every way. A turn-based fighter with amazing models and animations for PS1.
- 3D Beat-Em-Up: Samurai Warriors (PS2) Plays the same as earlier Dynasty Warrior games,
but has the best presentation for each character's mini-campaign
- Dungeon Crawler: Might & Magic 2 (PC/Genesis) To me, best old-skool D&D game. Uses Advanced 1st edition rules and doesn't use BS stuff known in Gygaxian dungeons. You won't have to carry rocks for weight sensitive platforms if you catch my drift.
- Rogue-Like: Tales Of Maj'eyal (PC) Cheap and unfair like all Rogue games, it has a ton of quality of life features like auto-explore so when you die, you don't have to suffer through the beginning. Also, tons of customization, but all end-game builds are built around using magic of some sort.
- Stealth: Don't care about the genre. Almost all of them play the same to me. Maybe Metal Gear Solid is my favorite out of all of them, but it isn't really a stealth game.
- Turn Based Strat: King's Bounty Armored Princess (PC) Very solid TBS game where you aren't pressured by time like most TBS and has oodles of RPG elements to tweak your playstyle. I've bought this game on 5 separate occasions to give to friends.
- Real Time Strat: Warzone 2100 (PC/PS1) This one was hard to choose since there are multiple RTS games I love. You can build your own tanks in game and this should count as a Grand Strat since the campaign map expands every level, making it a continuous game.
- Grand Strat: Masters Of Orion 2 (PC) 4x game that is practically a sandbox game for me. I mess around on baby mode just to explore stuff.
- First Person Shooter: Rambo The Game (PS3 Move/PC) If played on controller, the game is ungodly hard. With a mouse-like response, it is the pinnacle of Rambo games.
- Third Person Shooter: Resident Evil 6 (PC/PS3/360) Surprisingly awesome. It's a true B movie with the player having wrestling super powers. When Helena gives an elbow drop and crushes a zombie's skull, it's satisfying every time.
- SHMUP: Raiden 1 (SNES/Arcade) The only shmup I've bothered to master. It's a true shump where it isn't a puzzle game in disguise like the later games became.
- Survival Horror: Tomb Raider (PS1/PC/Dreamcast) The amount of instant death gotchas make every step a butt clencher, not to forget the many times I tumbled off a cliff.
Air Combat: Freelancer (PC) space has no air, but c'mon on, it's air combat.
- 2D Beat-Em-Up: River City Ransom: Underground (PC/Xbox One/PS4/Switch) Excellent 2.5d beat 'em up with major technical problems. Cannot reliably save multiplayer games, so it is essentially a single player game.
- Simulation: Breeders of the Nephelym (cough)(PC) not-safe-for-humans game with tons of customization. Surprise-Relations is the best feature in the game.
(Not adult pick): Sim City 3000 (PC) Sim City 3000 plays pretty much the same as 2000 with more features. Not much insight to give cause everyone knows how this game plays.
- Party: 100% Orange Juice (PC) Mario Party without mini-games. Draw cards that affect stats and battle players for Stars or Battle victories. Highest score wins.
- Sandbox: NONE
- Sports: Tiger Woods Golf 2004 (PS2/Xbox/PC) The best arcade to simulation balance I've ever seen. You can enable options to spin the ball in mid-air, enabling crazy cool hits. This category is unfair for me since I actually like a lot of sport games.
- Racing: Downhill Domination (PS2) Road Rash on a bicycle. Extreme speeds too, rivaling WipeOut.
- Puzzle: Puzzle Quest (PC/PS2/Wii/DS) A filthy casual match 3 game with RPG features.
Rhythm: Guitar Hero 3 (PC/PS2+3/Xbox 360/Wii) Most forgiving of the series and has a good playlist
- MMO: WarFrame (PC/PS4/Xbox One/Switch) You play as a ninja and can move like a supernatural version of ninjas. Too grindy like most MMOs, but gave me the most pleasure out of all MMOs.
- MOBA: Counter Strike: Condition Zero (PC+Xbox version) It's Counter-Strike v1.6, but with more quality of life features, like naming every section of a map based on community slang like 'Double Doors' in de-dust2
- 2D Fighter: Flying Dragon (N64) A fighting game with RPG elements. The Chibi version is my favorite version of the game. You equip up to 4 items to alter your stats. All the characters are clones of famous fighters like Street Fighter and Virtual Fighter
- 3D Fighter: NONE, but I'll cheat and say Fight Night 2004 (PS2) Technically it is a 1-on-1 fighter with a very sophisticated boxing system that I love. Not a fan of most 1-on-1 fighting games.
The Weebs fleeced my vidja collection.

Re: Favorite Games Chart

mechaMenace
DA, the point of me toiling over creating an uprezzed chart was because the old link was dead. It was also so that people could use higher res images then shrink them down when they post to the forum. The end result looks better. I admit I used the smaller version for my preliminary chart so there were some janky scalings. I only meant for the thumbnail to be used as a preview.

Here is the full-size template:
https://i.imgur.com/aDjK7Xc.png

Re: Favorite Games Chart

mechaMenace
No MOBA, VN, Grand Strategy, or WRPG. I possibly could have moved Hero's Quest into the WRPG category, but that would be against my intuition for what the category meant to me.

Full size link: https://i.imgur.com/FpSPbYa.png

The Others:
Sonic Spinball for the category PINBALL
Twisted Metal Black for the category CAR COMBAT / GROUND VEHICLE
Arkanoid vs Space Invaders for the timeless category BAT-AND-BALL
Stuntman Ignition for the category STUNT
Frogger 3D for the other timeless category MAZE (all games are technically Pac-Man)
House of the Dead 2 for the category LIGHT GUN
Super Mario Bros Game & Watch for the category LCD

I wanted to add a category for favorite TV game ad, but the chart is packed. If I had room, I would place the Snuggles parodies for all the Battletanx games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyn46oE4XDs

The hardest category to decide was the shoot-em-ups.

Re: Favorite Games Chart

Death Adder
Administrator
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Favorite Games Chart

mechaMenace
DA, you're the king of comebacks and you bite me by rehashing my sarcasm. I'm disappointed. I also did not pick JF1. I picked JF2. Secure your monocle. There's nothing wrong with JF1, though I prefer 2.

Re: Favorite Games Chart

AlexSwingle
@Mecha Because of the shrunken images, a good chunk of your picks cannot be deciphered through normal cues.

I cannot tell the following categories: Sports, Air Combat, Simulation, and TB-Strat. I assume Simulation is that one Xbox mecha game where you had to manually press the eject button, but the average joe wouldn't be able to tell. I only vaguely remember Scorched Earth, but I never played the DOS version to pick that up right away.

I'm not going to judge the merits of the games since I don't feel the need to fight you on what you like. I assumed the purpose of this was to share, not critique our terrible tastes in games. (See, it's funny because I'm also implying my tastes are bad. hah, humor.)
The Weebs fleeced my vidja collection.

Re: Favorite Games Chart

mechaMenace
This post was updated on .
JT originally created this thread. He posted a giant full-size template. The forum has a thumbnail feature which shrinks your image to small, medium, or large with everyone who has posted so far choosing the large (750px) format.

That link died. I recreated the template. These postings are supposed to be visual, self-explanatory, and without much text. It's sort of like looking at a wall-o-games and having that sense of yeah / complacency.

Nontheless, you scale to fit the template. The forum scales again. Information is lost. Include a link to the full-size pre-forum scaled image if you want more information preserved.

My choices for Turn-based strategy, 2D Fighter, Air Combat, 2D Beat-em-up, Simulation, and Rhythm all had complications translating to the format.

Scorched Earth for Turn-based strategy. That game was never released officially in stores to my knowledge so I posted the title screen

Marvel vs Capcom 2 in the arcade for 2D Fighter. I could have posted the DC, XBox, or PS2 covers, but that is not the format in which I enjoyed the game. The information on an arcade cab gets squished. Even the large template, with the category text and some white space as a border, I'm left with with little room. I tried squishing these to fit in tiny 236x by 270y space.

Similarly After Burner Climax in the deluxe cab variety in the arcade for Air Combat. I have the game on PS3. While enjoyable, it does not give the sensation that you are going to flip out of the chair while your jet does aileron rolls.

TMNT Turtles in Time in the arcade for 2D Bmup. The arcade does this game better in every way over the consoles. I prefer that version, but still enjoy the takes each console have on the game. I actually thought the Sega Genesis and SNES games had nothing to do with eachother as a youngin since I didn't own the SNES till a brief period in '97 and never played Turtles in Time on SNES till 2012.

Steel Battalion for Simulation. It's all about that controller.

Similarly Donkey Kong Jungle Beat NOT Konga for Rhythm. Using a musical instrument and creating score combos to a rhythm is a really unique way to play a platformer. I admit that one might raise an eyebrow, but would Rez or Vib Ribbon? I'm not a fan of traditional music-based games. Most of the time, I find them boring and I usually suck at them which kills my desire to play. Jungle Beat has a fresh take by combining genres and really moves me when I play. I never played the Wii Play version and I don't want to.

So if you can't see entries, try the full size link included. Use the full-size template if you want to get pedantic about platforms / styles of play like I did and maybe you will have a better time scaling and translating the information across to other members.

Re: Favorite Games Chart

Kazlab208

Overall Favorite:Shenmue (Dreamcast)
Action:Shinobi (PS2)
Adventure:Policenauts (Saturn)
Action/Adventure:The Last Guardian (PS4)
Visual Novel:428 Shibuya Scramble (PS4)
2D Platformer:Super Mario Advance 2 (GBA)
3D Platformer:Spyro Year of the Dragon (PS1)
WRPG:Jade Empire (Xbox)
JRPG: Final Fantasy 8 (PS1)
3D Beat em Up:Yakuza (PS2)
Deungeon Crawler:Pokemon Mystery Dunegon Red Rescue Team (GBA)
Rougelike:Darkcloud (PS2)
Stealth:Sly Cooper (PS2)
Turn Based Strategy:Shining Force 3 (Saturn)
Real Time Strategy:Starcraft 64 (N64)
1st Person Shooter:Halo (Xbox)
3rd Person Shooter:kill.switch (Xbox)
Shmup: Ikarugha (Dreamcast)
Survival Horror: Parasite Eve (PS1)
Air Combat: Star Wars Rogue Squadron (N64)
2D Beat Em Up: Castle Crashers (PS4)
Simulation:Animal Crossing (GC)
Party:Mario Party 2 (N64)
Sandbox:Grand Theft Auto San Andreas (Xbox)
Sportsball:Mario Tennis N64
Racing:Mario Kart 64
Puzzle:Bust A Move 3 (Saturn)
Rhythm:Amplitude (PS2)
MMO:Final Fantasy 14 (PS4)
2D Fighting:Marvel vs Capcom 2 (Xbox)
3D Fighting: Soul Calibur (Dreamcast)
Other Roller Sports:Jet Grind Radio (Dreamcast)

Re: Favorite Games Chart

Death Adder
Administrator
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Favorite Games Chart

Kazlab208
Yeah, I remember saying 3rd Strike was my favorite fighting game on your podcast but looking back I have a special love for Marvel VS Capcom 2. It was my first serious fighting game so that's why it overthrows 3rd Strike but 3rd Strike is still a pretty sweet fighting game. Definetly a close #2.

Re: Favorite Games Chart

mechaMenace
Ikaruga does everything right and is a very smooth experience. It's very easy to memorize, though there is some room for variance, particularly with bosses. It was a very tough choice for me. I was debating between Ikaruga, R-Type Delta, Einhander, and Raiden II.

Anyone other than me and and Ballz prefer Mario World on GBA vs SNES? The control feels better--tighter.

Also, Roller Sports for JGR? Are the other entries in that genre Roller Games and Jet Set Radio Future? I admit, it's hard to place that game in any previously defined category. The only other games that remind me of it are Mark Ecko's Getting Up and Concrete Genie.

Did someone edit my original post? The link to the higher res chart template is gone. Here it is again: https://i.imgur.com/aDjK7Xc.png

Ballz could have use that. His shart is really fuzzy.

Re: Favorite Games Chart

Death Adder
Administrator
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Favorite Games Chart

mechaMenace
Fun fact: saying something nice to someone lessens the blow of following criticism, insult, NF, or whatever the kids say these days.

TLDR; read my post.

Re: Favorite Games Chart

Death Adder
Administrator
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Favorite Games Chart

AlexSwingle
@Mecha

I wish school was actually useful. The nonsense of complimenting followed by critiquing only works on people who want to like you. Most people have a desire to like one another, so it makes it easier to exploit the trick, but if the target isn't autistic, it doesn't work on people who are genuinely mad.

Instead of reciting some Wikipedia fact you learned from a YouTube video, speak like a real human and express you didn't like how the message was delivered. It is moments like this that I'm frustrated by you, but I do like you as a whole and I apologize for giving the impression I have some death grudge against you.

Dang it, I messed up on the formula. I critiqued first.

As an aside, I think I'm getting out of my current funk and will be able to make the meme template. Systemic psoriasis and arthritis be aids.
The Weebs fleeced my vidja collection.

Re: Favorite Games Chart

Death Adder
Administrator