XBOX 20th Anniversary & Halos

The Original XBOX turned 20 years old yesterday, I know there was some anti-XBOX propaganda during the 360 Era on the MCC, but I think everyone is in agreement that the OG XBOX was pretty cool. I got mine Christmas 2003.

A swig of beer, a swig of Red Pop Faygo, a swig of Hawaiian Punch, and a swig of California tap water for the OG XBOX!

As for modern "XBOX" I ended up playing the Halo Infinite multiplayer that's out now and free, it was decent enough......feels like Halo. I'd offer to play it with you guys but I am so terrible at FPSers it would be a mess, I mostly just drove the Ghost around and pretended it was Mario Kart.

I dunno, might be something you want to throw on your gaming laptop when you get some downtime JT.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1240440/Halo_Infinite/

Re: XBOX 20th Anniversary & Halos

This made me feel awfully old.

Re: XBOX 20th Anniversary & Halos

mechaMenace
I remember waiting in line for two GameCubes on launch day 2001 (I was quite the hustler back then) and thinking how lame was this usurper released a few days earlier.

'Keep out of the game space!' 'Throw around your weight?! Why don't you build up cred?' These were some of the things that echoed in my head then. I despised the behavior of eating established developers to get a foothold in the industry. What I didn't know was this was a precedent set by other pubs and even Sony with the PS1. Had I known about Nintendo's anti-competitive / bullying practices, I would have totally sided with PS2 since the DC was officially killed by that point.

Am I wrong? Did Sega have clean hands?

I would have preferred MS put their muscle behind Sega by co-parenting a console with Sega (more than simply the Dev environment) because I suspect Sega didn't have a clue how to run the next gen of game consoles. MS was one step ahead of everyone.

In retrospect, I still don't like eating and dumping devs; however, MS created a gaming behemoth with an annoyingly large footprint that impresses me by how well it performs when compared to everyone else from that era.

I never played Halo beyond multi-player. Is it just hype from kids who need a Mario in green and black overalls or is it doing something different to which I should pay attention?

Re: XBOX 20th Anniversary & Halos

Are the single player campaigns worth it?

If my memory serves me correct, here's the TL;DR version of the main games (not the RTS or mobile Halo Games which I haven't played)

Halo 1: 10/10 would recommend sans fighting The Flood enemies (annoying enemy)

Halo 2: 10/10 would recommend sans fighting The Flood enemies

Halo 3: I felt like it was a step down from 2, but a lot of people love it

Halo 3 ODST: Kind of a weird artsy Halo in a way, I enjoyed it, sans Nathan Fillion's oversized head in Spartan armor, it just looked odd

Halo Reach: Tried some new stuff with the gameplay, was okay, last Halo by Bungie

Halo 4: 343 replaces Bungie making Halos, you fight a bunch of gay robots, kind of a love story between Cortana and Master Chief which I was oddly invested in, but overall the story is dumb, not a big fan

Halo 5: More gay robots, and Nathan Fillion's oversized head is in it, it's painfully bad, like really really bad

Basically the story is kind of generic throughout all of the games, but gameplay wise you should at least play 1 & 2

Re: XBOX 20th Anniversary & Halos

mechaMenace
Isn't the blue girl a hologram? How would that work? Holodeck?

I read something once that romance stories are put into Japanese videogames and movies to appeal to females. I'm not saying you can't have an emotional story, but given the info in this post and your last regarding the current devs of Halo, I wonder whether they are turning Halo into the equivalent of those romance novels you'd see at the checkout line 30 years ago. Is it possible that the current money-spending generation of females play games more than read books and these scenarios are put into games to appeal to a wider audience?

BTW, if you want to see a movie with romance-out-of-nowhere, check out Disney's Jungle Cruise.

Do you have a thing against Nathan Fillion? I've enjoyed I think everything I've seen with the guy? Check out Dr Horrible.

Re: XBOX 20th Anniversary & Halos

mechaMenace
BTW, my curiosity led me to XBox miniaturizing maybe a year ago.

There is a community around creating an XBox mini. They use tiny or custom-built cases and exchange parts like the CPU heatsink / fan apparatus, DVD drive, HD, and more. It's a rabbit hole, I'd love to go down one day cause that box is big.

Re: XBOX 20th Anniversary & Halos

I don't have any strong feelings about Nathan Fillion one way or the other, we all know Fire Fly era Fillion was basically the model for Nathan Drake, which is cool. It's just seeing his giant 57 year old booze filled face CGIed in to a Halo game is jarring. That goes for a lot of celebs in video games though.

It deals more with Master Chief and Cortana caring about each other, rather than hardcore grinding on each other, despite the Rule 34 fan art.

a XBOX Mini would be adorable.

Re: XBOX 20th Anniversary & Halos

Also, I feel like Balzak would appreciate this picture.

Re: XBOX 20th Anniversary & Halos

mechaMenace
Death Adder wrote
It's just seeing his giant 57 year old booze filled face CGIed in to a Halo game is jarring. That goes for a lot of celebs in video games though.
Any time Keith mf David or Terry Crews pop up in videogames, I've enjoyed it.

Re: XBOX 20th Anniversary & Halos

Terry Crews is pretty cool

You never go ass to mouth.