Tear...New old-school TMNT beat-em-up

mechaMenace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86JYR7bK6RU
from DOTEMU, the same folks behind Streets of Rage 4

Re: Tear...New old-school TMNT beat-em-up

mechaMenace
The design reminds me of GBA graphics, similar to that 2007 TMNT movie game.

Re: Tear...New old-school TMNT beat-em-up

Death Adder
Administrator
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Tear...New old-school TMNT beat-em-up

mechaMenace
I am really surprised by this move. I guess there are enough of us buying games. Maybe the younglings are getting into old shit too because they think old people are cool for some reason.

I have watched  and enjoyed every single iteration of turtles on TV, except the latest. It looked too out there. The last CG / 3D is my favorite TV version so far.

My hope is that they use the toy version of Slash rather the the dumb-looking 1988 cartoon version. I always thought the black bandana version looked bad-ass. They might. If you watch the trailer, you see a lot of the toy vehicles. It looks really great.

I love how the animations are different for each character. Check the first bit of the gameplay when all of them are running. I hope they play differently too.

You played Streets of Rage 4. Did it have all that? Characters really felt different?

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Tear...New old-school TMNT beat-em-up

Yeah this game looks pretty cool.  I do think it's interesting that companies can target manchild nostalgia.

Re: Tear...New old-school TMNT beat-em-up

Mitch
This does look pretty sweet. I've done my TMNT homework in the last few years so I'm no slouch when it comes to the series and damn this looks pretty good. Streets of Rage 4 wasn't half bad either and the combo/juggle system would work really well with acrobatic characters like the turtles.

Also I gotta agree with Mecha on this one. As far as 80s franchises go TMNT has the best batting average out of all of them I think. The only true stinkers were the third movie and that shitty live action TV show. Both the 2003 and 2012 series really build on what came beforehand. Honestly it's strange how much better TMNT is as reiterating itself Vs say transformers.

If nothing else check out the 2012 episodes that crossed over with the 80s cartoon, they're really damn funny.
*sharts*

Re: Tear...New old-school TMNT beat-em-up

mechaMenace
I loved that crossover Turtles episode. They had multiple iterations of the Turtles meet eachother. My favorite moment had to be when the Turtles of the 2K12 series thought the 80s Turtles were crazy walking around in public. It had me going, 'Yeah, nobody seemed to care about giant Turtles walking around NYC.'

The 2004 series started off good. It seemed highly inspired by the original black and white comics. I think it went South when they went to the future.

I originally thought I would butt up against the 3D / CG 2K12 series, but 2012 combined the comic with more of the 80s comedic take. I think the relationships and personalities between the Turtles and everyone in the series was bettered developed.

Of the movies, I like the original 1990 best followed by the second, Secret of the Ooze. The first movie takes heavily from the comics. The second had a lot more cartoony comedy, and who could forget go ninja go ninja go. Those live action puppet suits are still amazing to watch onscreen. You can see Henson studio applying what they learned from Labyrinth. I'd really like them to do clean transfers to blu-ray. Supposedly, the blu-rays that are available are not very good.

CONTENTS DELETED

mechaMenace
Have you tried the 2012 show, DA?

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Tear...New old-school TMNT beat-em-up

Mitch
See you guys actually lived through the red-sky, third film and image comics era of TMNT. Like other "evergreen" franchises (transformers G2 for example) it took about a two decades for the seires to be hip again (the 2003 show). Which it did again the next decade with the CG show.

I've read a few of the original black & white comics and if you've seen the original 90s film it's basically that for about the first third of the run. But the art really is something to behold. Turns out they both did drawing duties so the artwork is more of a composite of the two styles. In one of the interviews I read Eastman said at some point it became their jobs to just submit designs for figures to playmates and the animation studios and that's when the main comics kind of drop in quality for a few years.

I also read a one shot called "Casey and Raph: Bodycount" which has some amazingly fucked (in a good way) art by Simon Bisley. Google that shit and you'll see what I mean.

I have however heard good things about the Archie TMNT Adventures seires, which is based on the 87 cartoon but with a proper overarching plot that incorporates a lot of extra characters who were just one offs (Ray Fillet and Mondo Gecko getting their own team and series in the Mutanimals) and I true Archie style it gets kinda weird

*sharts*

Re: Tear...New old-school TMNT beat-em-up

mechaMenace
That's pretty metal.

I found out about the Turtles first through the B&W comics, TV show second. Even though I went along with the cartoon, I just couldn't give the Archie comics the time of day. I thought they were aimed at younger children because of the cover art. Could you blame me coming from the B&W comics?

A lot the B&W comics have really detailed art and many pictured the Turtles slicing up fools. One of my favorites is #43 of the original series where they fight Loki:

They definitely go places in that original series. I think there was one where they face off against jumping vampires in ancient Japan a la Phantom Fighter

You've just reminded me that the 2012 show did an episode that was essentially just "Big trouble in little China". They even got James Hong to go all Lo-pan. It was absurd. Shit the muckman episode is literally just the toxic avenger """for kids"""
*sharts*

Re: Tear...New old-school TMNT beat-em-up

mechaMenace
I just checked the prices of Turtles in Time and Hyperstone. Hyper is hitting $80! TIT's hitting almost $100! No doubt this announcement has something to do with that.

Because they're licensed games, a re-release has never happened. Besides limited viability of ports on previous platforms of licenses that were old, yet not enough to instill a form of nostalgia in buyers, I think Konami learned that their old-school licenses are worth something after the NES classic exploded so getting them to throw the ROM on some physical media again is probably never going to happen, but imagine they did for TMNT what they did for Castlevania and Contra.

Anyways, I learned that my initial impressions were spot on. The people behind the 2007 GBA game are working on this bmup.

CONTENTS DELETED

mechaMenace
I can see underboob

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Tear...New old-school TMNT beat-em-up

mechaMenace
peek-a-boob

Re: Tear...New old-school TMNT beat-em-up

AlexSwingle
The last beat em' up I liked was Halo 2 if you know what I mean, and I think you do. For realzies though, I played Streets Of Rhee 4 about a month ago with a friend and I was disappointed with how much they phoned it in. Maybe I'm a god-gamer, but I felt zero skill was needed and sjw nonsense was sprinkled heavily. I liked River City Underground even though that was a grindfest for stats. The combat was much better and the fighting styles were complex if you wanted to see cool combos.

It seems like these companies are trying too hard for predatory nostalgia instead of fixing the problems that were apparent in the source material. Although just saying that alone is blasphemous since Streets Of Rage 2 is apparently better than sliced bread.

I have no hope for this TMNT release since I see TMNT 2 in this remake and that means 'jump-kick:the game'. No thanks. Looks pretty and I can see many people getting scammed by the visuals.
The Weebs fleeced my vidja collection.
12