Light-Gun Games

Mitch
Lightgun games are fuckin sweet. Talk about lightgun games.
GUNVARI COLLECTION (PS2)

A while back I tried out this ps2 collection of the ps1 Point Blank games and the first Time Crisis. It's a fairly good port, I'd wager arcade perfect since iirc it was on one of those namco boards that was basically a ps1 with more RAM. Since this is on the ps2 it also lets you use the GUNCON2 which imo feels a bit better in hand than the original. But yeah it's a solid port of an equally solid game. TC1 does not fuck around compared to its successors. All you have (in the arcade mode) is the default handgun and your skills. I was rinsing the game over and over for about a week and a half and jesus fuck I could barely get halfway through stage 2 (of 3). The hardest thing (aside from my dick) about the game is the time limit. You'd better know where those fucks are going to pop out from or get fucked son; back to the beginning of the stage for you fucko.

8/10
*sharts*

Re: Light-Gun Games

Kazlab208
Just recently got into some Sega Saturn light gun games since my Saturn has a MODE. Got into House of the Dead 1, Virtua Cop, and probably the most jank light game game ever made, Death Crimson.

Re: Light-Gun Games

Now that's a hell of a collection.  I will have to get my hands on it.  I am extremely lacking in Namco lightgun games.

Re: Light-Gun Games

mechaMenace
There's also Ghost Panic on PS1 by Namco (JPN only).

Re: Light-Gun Games

Mitch
WELL ACKSHULLY it totally did come out in English on the PS1 as "Ghoul Panic" and was apparently made by eighting/rizing, the same dudes behind bloody roar.
*sharts*

Re: Light-Gun Games

mechaMenace
Ha! Those devs are pretty good at shoot-em-ups. I didn't know they handled porting stuff as well. You gotta make a living.

Also, this is another one of those cases where the Europeans got Japan localizations and the US was left out. I think that happens more than the converse. Off the top of my head, the Europeans thought Super Mario RPG wouldn't sell (maybe too late of a release) and though there was no Seaman, they did get a Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast. Those Twinbee and Parodius games, as well as the PS1 ports of Mickey Mania, Earthworm Jim 2, and Mega Man X3 all hit Europe, but were left out of the states. We only got Stinger on the NES (it's fine). Damn, I just remembered Super Fantasy Zone got a PAL release. Thankfully it runs just fine @ 60 on an NTSC Sega Genesis.

Re: Light-Gun Games

Mitch
Speaking of Hz that reminds me; I had to use GSM on my PS2 hen running that collection. Just had to force the video output to PAL which fucked the menu for the collection up but the individual games ran fine and at full speed even.

The further back you go the more whack the releases for games in Europe get. The whole PAL A/PAL B thing for original NES games is big ruse since a majority of the games were released in English everywhere regardless of the local language. Guessed they solved that by having every language on the disc in later games but I'm getting off topic.

POST LIGHTGUN GAMES. I know someone's reading this and just waiting to splurt the gurt over Carnevil which I have never seen let alone played.
*sharts*

Re: Light-Gun Games

TheDevilBurning really talked up CarnEvil and I did get to play it once.  It was a solid horror themed light gun game but I don't really remember much about the experience than thinking "This is ok."  Now fookin House of the Dead and Krypt Killer have stayed with me ever since I played them back in the day.  Even Area 51 left more of an impression on me.  Perhaps I need to get in some more play time with it.

Perhaps my favorite light gun game is Silent Scope.  If I ever win the Mega Millions it will be the first arcade cab I stuff into my mansion.  It's always bad ass swinging that big ass sniper rifle around.

Re: Light-Gun Games

mechaMenace
I think mitch was being a little facetious about the light gun game thread evolving into talk of Carnevil. Nonetheless:

It was one of the first arcade games (maybe the first) I remember that used pump-action shotguns so it had that going for it. Maybe the last game with an interesting gun like that was the T2 Arcade Game but maybe that was because the movie boosted its rep. I think Operation Wolf was the first, but I didn't play light gun games then. Carnevil's freaky sideshow circus definitely left an impression because I don't remember many games doing that. I think the KISS game came out years later and the Sega Genesis freaky circus game was never released.

Silent scope is definitely one of the best because the devs realized it was a goofy arcade game that need secret bonuses. Did you ever end up getting Silent Scope 3 for the XBox, JT? The XBox was the only version that had a bundle with the scope, right?

Also, mansions are a bitch to clean and take a while to get from one place to the next. Maybe you could install some of those Jetsons moving walkways.