Joysticks are for women and cavemen

Death Adder
Administrator
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Joysticks are for women and cavemen

I am so out of touch with video games.  I have no idea what the purpose of these weird joysticks are.

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Joysticks are for women and cavemen

mechaMenace
There was a short period where I tried to "get gud" at Capcom fighters, specifically MvC2, but my hand couldn't reliably swivel a stick in zig-zags, quarter, half, and full moons (and the red balloons). This probably would make it easier to nail down some moves, but it probably wouldn't feel right. It's like playing a game on an emulator with your keyboard vs a controller. I also question whether it's faster than swiveling a stick. Maybe the zig-zag and quarter-circles would be faster, but tapping out a half or full circle--especially multiple times--I have doubts.

This looks like a product for the hardcore competitor. To my knowledge, there is only one legit event. Do they regulate the joysticks people use or can they use an FAO Schwartz Piano, if they desire?

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Joysticks are for women and cavemen

mechaMenace
Death Adder wrote
By the way, if you've never watched videos from the FGC (Fighting Game Community) you can almost smell the body odor through the screen.
 Hahah
Man, I wish that weren't the stereotype. In kindergarten I was scared stupid into being afraid of germs and diseases by a travelling clown show that put on skits about how to keep clean and why it's a bad idea. I guess if someone's an uggo (another stereotype), wallowing in filth is acceptable and eventually they become desensitized.

I understand the obsession. I'd like to get a stick for most systems, but where do I store the monstrosities and do I really need it? I already have a Steel Battalion set that doesn't want to hide anywhere convenient.  I have a MAMEbox for which I'd like to get a stick, you know, to imagine I'm still a twerp in the arcade putting coins on the glass. All the OG Xbox sticks I've seen look like crap though.

CONTENTS DELETED

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Joysticks are for women and cavemen

mechaMenace
Be wary of some of those converters. I too had the thought, 'I'll buy a PlayStation stick and get an adapter for certain consoles'. Apparently these adapters introduce lag. I haven't done deep research so maybe there's a specific adapter that doesn't, but yeah, lag is apparently a thing with these.

Word on the whole collector thing: buy things to use or invest exclusively. Mixing these priorities will give you agita. If it's a cool stick that you don't ever see yourself selling, use it hardcore. This is what I mean by don't mix priorities. Buying things to use is supposed to give you a sense of well-being. Another thought that helps is asking the question, 'What am I going to do with that money once I sell? What are my plans?' If you don't have a plan, why sell?

CONTENTS DELETED

mechaMenace
Have you seen Jurassic World 3? I think she told them to shoot creatively cause there was no way she was getting into Jurassic World 1 shape and they're not replacing her. I think she definitely laid off the Fritos a bit, but she's got some chunk in that badonkadunk.

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Joysticks are for women and cavemen

mechaMenace
I think it's wisdom you gain with age. You can see through all the BS. I'm not saying newer movies like Jurassic World aren't enjoyable. I'm saying that they're the same movies. There's a successful formula. Repeat it and expect a return. Of course critics helped shepherding the success pre- and post-screenings of these movies. Jurassic World and Force Awakens came out the same year and basically did the same thing as movie 1 in their series (wait for those Jurassic prequels *roll eyes*). It was a return to form and audiences enjoyed it. I was surprised by the lack of critical responses which stated, 'This is the same thing - old with a little new'.

Unfortunately, that's all the execs envisioned for Jurassic World (JW) to the point where it became an ouroboros. JW3 was an enjoyable mashup of JP 1-3, including the quirks of JP2 and JP3, even though JW2 and JW3 have similar arcs as JP2 and JP3. Also, what happened to the budget when they went to the Middle East in that JW3? I would have figured out how to get them all to Italy without it. Maybe they wanted another raptor chase / t-rex chase scene. Also, can we stop hiring this lady (https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1901842/)? She's no good. Ok, she's schlocky-scifi TV ok, but really takes me out of movies when I see her.