Blow It Out Your Ass

Death Adder
Administrator
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Blow It Out Your Ass

mechaMenace
I forgot about the no music at all in the N64 version even though it could handle it. Weird. I wonder it it was a licensing thing.

Running smooth has nothing to do with the media most likely, but the experience of the developers and how well they built their engine to run on the hardware. Megahertz and RAM help too. I never saw the Saturn version, but it looked smooth in that video.

I looked into the developer of the Saturn port. Apparently they were headquartered in Nintendo country. I wonder how they felt porting the Sega version.

Re: Blow It Out Your Ass

Kazlab208

Re: Blow It Out Your Ass

Death Adder
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Blow It Out Your Ass

AlexSwingle
That 'bundle of sticks' must have been high in regards to n64. Split-Screen co-op/pvp sounds great but was not in reality. It is a case of being desperate enough to enjoy Duke even if the port wasn't great.

I played it at a friend's house in middle school and the controls bothered me. They weren't terrible, but I rather have the PS1 controls since 20fps is a lot more tolerable when not using a thumbstick. All the ports had below 30fps frame rate. The n64 was consistently above 15fps during most of the games while the PS1 dipped to 10 on certain levels. It's similar to how no one knew Mario 64 was below 30fps until tism lords analyzed it years later, meanwhile 60fps was all the rage during that time. (most e3 presentations used 60fps as a talking point in their booths between 96-2000.)
The Weebs fleeced my vidja collection.

Re: Blow It Out Your Ass

Allegedly the Saturn version runs well and has good shadows or something.  It was developed by the people that made Power Slave.  Damn it Balzak I didn't even remember that video exists.  Man youtube's conversion did not do it any favors.  Oof.  I probably have the DVD that was recorded to and could re upload it or some such.  Yeah I did get to play a lot of the co op and some Duke Matches.  Recently I bought a phone line simulator so I can set up some local link games.  I won't be able to use the MODE though it won't boot the Netlink mode.  I haven't updated to the latest firmware but I doubt this is something the devs are aware of and if they are they probably don't care because I'm the only person on the planet that would use the MODE to play netlink games.

Re: Blow It Out Your Ass

Kazlab208
Sucks that the Netlink does not work with the MODE. Guess we can't have Virtual On matches but we should definetly try to get some Phantasy Star Online going one of these days.

Re: Blow It Out Your Ass

Well my chipped Saturn is still sitting in the primary set up.  Still a bummer though.  I might email terra onion after I try it with the current firmware update.  Who knows maybe it does work now.

Re: Blow It Out Your Ass

Oh and do you have the ability to play PSO on the Dreamcast online?  Because I would 100% be down.  I need someone to go through the game with that hasn't been playing it for 20 years.

Re: Blow It Out Your Ass

Kazlab208
Not yet. I've been kicking around the idea of getting a Rasberry Pi to play pre 5th gen games for a while. If I do get one then I was gonna install DreamPi on it as well. I'll give you a heads up once I get one up and running one of these days.