Saturn Region Switch

So I've been wanting to do a Saturn region switch mod forever.  Especially after Precision25 sent me a fat stack of Japanese Saturn games one of which came with a RAM expansion cart that I'd like to use.  Also fuck navigating a menu to use that fucking cart to swap regions.  That thing stretches out the cart slot from what I hear and I'm an avid netlinker.

I've watched about a million videos on youtube about the region switch and none of them have answered my super basic question.  They all go into theory, history on Saturns, what jumpers need to be connected but all neglect telling you how to wire it to the fucking switch.  What.  the.  fuck.  That's like the most important fucking part.  So I wrote out my question and fired it off to some people with region switch videos.  I hope I get a simple as fuck answer soon so I can play some Japanese video games.

Re: Saturn Region Switch

Balzak802
Sounds complicated. I think I heard about this project from you since I first started listening to your podcast and that was a podcast that was recorded in mid 2010 along with the battery mod where you could use AA Batteries instead of that dumb 2032 battery.

Just asking though, what games would you import? Asking becasue I was thinking of importing some Saturn games when I get my hands on my Saturn again but I can't think of any. I mean I really don't want to play those Capcom fighting games on the Saturn since they cost way too much and that I could just buy them on PSN instead with a cheapter pricetag.

Re: Saturn Region Switch

Well first things first.  I just got done putting in the region switch and it all works just fine.  :D  Here's a link to the channel that has the tutorial I used.  I had to send the dude a PM and clarify some shit but after that I got to work and everything went perfect.

I don't have any strong recommendations because a lot of the imports I personally would like are expensive as fuck haha!  The Dungeons and Dragon's collection by Capcom is something I'd love to have a legit copy of but I'll stick with my burnt copies.  Psychic Killer Toramaru is like one of the most expensive Japanese games so again, burnt copy.  But the region switch makes them just a touch easier to play!  Precision25 also gifted me some SNK fighting games and a Twin Bee game.  The Twin Bee game is pretty bad ass. Some day if I learn Japanese I'd like to get a copy of Bomberman Wars which is a strategy RPG.  I might pick up a Japanese copy of House of the Dead but I do already have a burnt copy.

Another use I have for the region switch is the VCD card, you have to boot in Japan mode to use it.  That also works just fine.  The switch I'm using is kind of fucking huge so I might get a project box from Radio Shack and put the switch in there and attach that to the battery cover.

Re: Saturn Region Switch

Presicion25
I'm glad you got it working. I remember seeing something about a region switch a couple years back. I decided to go the Modchip route and I region patch my games before burning them. I like these forums by the way. Long Live Mondo Cool Cast!