DeathAdder Dedication Thread

12

DeathAdder Dedication Thread

mechaMenace
Here is a video for you: https://youtu.be/vS8iPYtNbUM

Re: DeathAdder Dedication Thread

Very cool, I just started watching it now. I am guessing you are back in Jersey for a couple of weeks? Isn't that a part of your summer routine?

Such a terrible crime that the "pandemic" sky rocketed the price on so many old collectibles. I really wanted to collect another 3 or 4 sets of old Marvel trading cards. Throwing $30 dollars at something hurts a lot less than throwing $100 dollars at something. FUCKING SAVAGES.

Swig of beer (or chomp of bagel) for the great Joe Jusko!

Re: DeathAdder Dedication Thread

mechaMenace
I've been very busy on my "vacation" in NJ yet still managed to grab some of the world's best bagels. If you ever are in the North Jersey / NYC area and are looking for the paragon of bagels, I recommend hitting up Sam's Bagel & Deli in West Caldwell, NJ. Sadly, this shack-sized business only has one location now that their larger location closed. There are other Sam's Bagel & Deli on Google Maps but they are not associated with this bagelry.

I wonder if the "free" money tap dries out, whether prices of all collectibles will fall. People are willing to spend more and more, and that's bolstered by a growing investor interest in our hobbies. I feel ambivalent because there are items I question possessing if people now want to pay me a grand for it. It kind of makes the impossible rent situation moot (at least, temporarily). However, my impractical kid-brain's like, "Yo, we like da Marios, da Sonics, and I dunno, Pocky & Rockys. How can we sell doze?" At times, it makes me feel like the garbage lady from Labyrinth.

As long as people are willing to pay 5 hundsky for a Marvel Masterpiece box, it makes those follies a lot more folly. What do you think of digital card sets? Is is not the same argument for / against ROMs or any downloadable game?

You slimmed down your collection and now use a lot of ROMs. Do you breathe out a Marie Kondo sigh of relief or is there an urge to fill up that void?

Re: DeathAdder Dedication Thread

The bagels sound dank. I usually go for a chocolate chip bagel and add like an inch of cream cheese to the top.

I've never really been a big collector, I prefer to have the physical games over digital of course, old school mentality, but I love roms. R O M S  F O R E V E R

With the shift from physical to digital getting worse and worse, I've been considering getting in to GOG. You'd have to use the awkwardness of a computer to play video games, but you can save your physical purchases after you buy them, seems a bit safer than Steam or Epic Games in the long run.

Do you use Steam at all, it's a free app on your computer and you can find a ton games for free on there. You just need a usb XBOX 360 controller for most games.

There is this Furry from Tennessee that Jerry is friend's with. He's an alright guy, I subbed to him, he's got a ka-trillion games in his collection, in the comments I asked about the value, he said he was considering selling off 80% of his collection to pay off some debt and then collecting it back over time.

I feel like I'd have anxiety owning tens of thousands of dollars worth of physical games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=natK4CVObVY

Sorry for the Mecha-sized comment Mecha, I had some coffee while typing this.

Re: DeathAdder Dedication Thread

I feel like you will be the only person on the planet more resistant to Steam than me, but I know you like Paperboy, here is a free Paperboy clone to get you started. In these desperate times, free vidja is best vidja.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srnDGNykpUI

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1361240/Teenage_Blob_Paperperson__The_First_Single/

Re: DeathAdder Dedication Thread

AlexSwingle
I enjoyed the corny advertisement about Steam.

Down in the dumps? Feel like nothing is going your way? Then come on down to the all new Steam amusement park!
The Weebs fleeced my vidja collection.

Re: DeathAdder Dedication Thread

It's not a bad app for Mecha to consider, I feel like Mecha has a PC that can run Microsoft Flight Simulator but will refuse to play any modern games on it.

I just wish there was a way to hide your porno games. I am picturing Retro Kaiser on his death bed with his grandchildren in the bedroom scrolling through his Steam account, "Grandpa Kaiser why do you have all 14 visual novels called Anal Adventures, and Cum Bucket VR Parts 1 & 2?"

Kaiser says screams some sort of non sense and then comically falls out of bed bringing down his IV stand with him.

Other than the no hiding porn feature, it's a recommended app.

Re: DeathAdder Dedication Thread

I decided to beef up my collection a bit Mecha, I added the base sets for the 1992 Marvel X-Men Series 1 & the 1993 Marvel X-men Series 2 (my old school binders not pictured)

There are maybe 3 more base sets I wouldn't mind collecting and about 5 more "special/foil/hologram set thingys" I wouldn't mind collecting.

I am mostly just interested in the stuff that came out around 1992 and 1993.

I saw some set listed for like $1,200 dollars, I thought about DMing the guy and saying "LMMFAOOOOOO" but I didn't know if eBay would ban my account or something for doing that.

Re: DeathAdder Dedication Thread

mechaMenace
You know, I normally think people are being figurative when they say, "I got a hard-on" when something happened, like playing a videogame or getting a muscle car, but damn did my crouch subtley tingle and I had no control. Maybe it was Scarlet Witch in skin-tight...yeah, that was it.

I love that Moon Knight card. Artists find ways of framing scenes with Moon Knight's cape that look amazing. I'm really interested in seeing what happens when he hits mainstream. It's probably too late to horde all the Werewolf by Night #32s. I never found it while visiting cons in the 90s. Hmm..maybe I should look up my Secret Wars #8.

I don't think I got an X-Men set until 95 or 96. These looks way closer in style to Marvel Universe Series 3 and lower.

Re: DeathAdder Dedication Thread

mechaMenace
I find e-mails like your hypothetical one very annoying when I sell something on ebaym so that might give you encouragement. Ebay probably won't waggle a finger at you unless you use "hate speech" or threaten somebody. The seller can report you as a bad buyer for what, being an annoying tsetse fly, but I doubt they could find an appropriate category from the drop-boxes and, if they chose an inappropriate thing like "hate speech," Ebay would read the email and do nothing.

I've noticed that people are increasingly sending out these jerky emails, but it's for things like N64, GBA, GBC, GameCube onwards stuff. I think the yungins act out more. I blame social media (of which I participate), but the amount of immediate social interaction and reaction through tech kids are exposing themselves to today, puts a lot more pressure on them than I ever had growing up when I had nobody around me outside school other than my siblings and the forest.

Re: DeathAdder Dedication Thread

mechaMenace
What do you think of tchochkes?
 https://www.ebay.com/itm/194293697932
 $30

Re: DeathAdder Dedication Thread

I think it looks good, I personally wouldn't get it though, not so much that I'd worry about plushies making me look like a fanuc, but it seems like something that would be a pain to collect. All the dust and mildew that could get on those suckers.

This would be okay for 10 bucks or so, I wouldn't put a controller in it's hands though, I feel like the paint would chip away after awhile.

Re: DeathAdder Dedication Thread

Re: DeathAdder Dedication Thread

mechaMenace
I've seen those or use to see them everywhere. I didn't look up the price. Should I be afraid? I mean, those Marvel sets asking prices are wild. For so long, people didn't pay jack for cards. I never had the urge to complete the sets past my youth, but with those prices, I can't see myself jumping into the mix. I stumble across loose cards from various Marvel sets all the time at flea markets--sealed packs, not so much.

I had the urge to get this one and I keep it bookmarked for some reason. I've held off because I think the pose looks submissive. They are shown holding phones too. For most things I use day to day, I don't worry about them getting scuffed, so if the gloves turned black over time, enh

I like plush. I've always liked them. I think it's because it gives a 2D character 3D form and because I expect those characters to have a soft feel IRL. I never though if Bub and Bob from Bubble Bobble would have fur, yet I do have plush of those guys and despite me not thinking of how Bubble Dragons would probably have scales and that goes against the soft feel thing, they are probably first-place-tied with my Red Fraggle plush as my faves.

Re: DeathAdder Dedication Thread

I guess around 1996ish the trading card market started to crash, and all of those trading card shops that would sell sports cards didn't order a lot of these to sell, hence why they're a lot more rare than the earlier cards.

The set was also entirely done by Boris Vallejo and Julie Bell, another reason people are creaming their shorts over them. I've got a couple of books filled with pictures of their art.

It's crazy to think there were 2 trading card shops in spitting distance of me growing up. I miss the 1990's more and more as every year passes........

I've been watching this clone of Jerry Terrifying talk about collectibles, you might like his stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3kth_qcYqU

The Tails is pretty cool, but he does kind of look like he's about to take a load from Dr. Robotnik.

Re: DeathAdder Dedication Thread

mechaMenace

Re: DeathAdder Dedication Thread

You know when I was watching Superman IV: The Quest For Peace at 5 or 6 years old, I thought to myself, you know what this story line is missing?

ASS FUCKING

Re: DeathAdder Dedication Thread

mechaMenace
I think it was Kevin Smith who read something on one of his podcast about Superman IV having a script or an idea passed around to have Lobo be the villain. Maybe I made that I up since I can't find any reference to it, but Lobo and perhaps any business he had on Earth would have been a more interesting plot and more interesting looking character than this WRESTLE  / Kinnikuman game reject.

Is Rob Zombie a good actor? Maybe he's too old to play Lobo (JK Simmons got jacked so maybe not), but I recall his younger self looking like a weird biker from space.

Wouldn't it be something if Hugh Jackman went from playing Wolverine to playing Lobo?

Re: DeathAdder Dedication Thread

I remember liking the villain in Superman IV because he reminded me of He-Man, I think he got his powers from the sun or something?

You probably are also aware of the "giant robot spider" they wanted wanted in one of the Superman movies, that later ended up in Wild Wild West, Jesus.

I haven't talked to The Gaming Beast since 2018, but I believe one of his gimmicks is loving Lobo, if you got a hold of him, I'm sure he could tell you in depth every single actor on the planet who would make a good Lobo.

If done right, a 1980's punk Lobo could have been a great villain.

And nah, Rob Zombie is like 5'3 and probably in his 50's now, you'd want a guy juiced to the gills for Lobo.

Re: DeathAdder Dedication Thread

mechaMenace
He probably would have to be the size of two quarterbacks; however, old guys are getting jacked.

12